Monday, October 15, 2007

Isle of Skye


Wow, I had an amazing weekend. This is the first bit of scenery I have seen that doesn’t remind me in any way of anything I have ever seen before. The water, cliffs, and mountains at the Isle of Skye are absolutely gorgeous. The first day (Friday) was spent traveling from Aberdeen to Isle of Skye. This is about a six hour trip. Once we arrived we walked about two miles and across a great bridge to our hostel. Of course it was pitch black and we couldn’t see a thing, but it was fun none the less. We discovered in the morning just where we had walked and how beautiful it was. I made this journey with five great friends from Hope College and was later met by another person from our program whose college name is escaping me right now. It was a great group to hang out with. Saturday we got up at a decent hour, ate some breakfast, and headed north. We visited the town of Portree and then took a bus to Kilt Rock. Afterwards we walked two or three miles to another town where we spent quite a bit of time near the water just exploring. It was quite a liberating day. We then headed back to Kyleakin (where the hostel was) for a good meal and some cards before bed. Oh, we ate our lunch at Kilt Rock. We got to bed a little late that night, but not a big deal. The next day we set off in search of a castle. This was more difficult than we thought it would be as a result of the fact not that many buses run on Sunday. However, we did make it and it was well worth the trip. We spent all morning and part of the early afternoon there before getting on the train to head back to Aberdeen. Are trip back was a little long as a result of a layover in Inverness. However, this ended up being a marvelous thing. We had three hours to explore the city. We had an incredible dinner (the best I have had yet). I took a picture of Haggis for everyone. Mom, you better learn how to cook it or make sure I have the kitchenware to cook it myself. I quite enjoy it. Afterwards we toured the city at night and finally got back to Aberdeen a little before midnight. The trip could not have gone any better. I took a lot of photos while I was there, so please enjoy. The link to the photos of the trip is below. Also I added a link to all of my photos on the side of this page if you have missed things so far.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic pics - beautiful country. I must say I found the close-up of the pigeon particularly poignant!

Those sheep (if that's what they call them) were huge.

wrb