Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My Classes and their Abnoralities

Well, classes have officially started. I must admit I am glad that they have. I have four classes and they all require completely different time tables. I am taking Rise of Christianity. This class will examine Christianity from 0 A.D. to right before the beginning of the Reformation. I am then taking the Protestant Reformation of Martin Luther and John Calvin. This class picks up where the other is leaving off and brings me closer to the common era. I am also taking an introduction to New Testament Greek. Finally, I am taking an intro to counseling skills class. I have a feeling all of my classes should be quite entertaining. My counseling course will be very easy. In addition I think my previous experience in Ancient Greek will cause my Greek course to also seem easy. My other two classes are no more difficult or easier than a Wabash course in terms of content. However, the amount of work I will be required to do is considerably less. I view this as a bonus. Not only does it make life less stressful, but it gives me more time to read books about the topics themselves. I just finished another book called Three, but I will write about that later. I heard a funny description of one of my Professors. It may not be kind, but funny. My Professor for Rise of Christianity was described as a German/Swiss He/She who looked like she should be out of the Sound of Music. It is quite a look and will be an entertaining course. The final thing that strikes me as different from the USA is the level of teaching. I do not doubt the qualifications of any of my Professors and am sure I will come to appreciate and enjoy all of them. However, only the He/She is actually a doctorate in her field. The others are all Doctoral Students. This is strikingly different than Wabash where 95% have their doctorate and if they don't they are merely a visiting Professor. Well, those are my classes. If you want to know any specifics let me know via comment. Oh, I just got out of my counseling course. I was anticipating a bunch of undergraduates interested in psychology and potentially counseling. There are a few, but I also have a ton of older women who want to solve problems in their own lives and hope this class will help. I felt as if I was attending a self-help session; not to mention 50% of the grade in the course is class participation. It will be fun. There are 14 females and two males. I am the only American and the only male that speaks English well. I will have to speak up for the male sex. I am rambling and will therefore end this here. I look forward to giving you my church update soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you speak "good" English, they are in trouble. Please don't try to teach them grammar! Your classes sound interesting. The most unique teachers are usually the best. Enjoy the diversity you have there. And learn from the older women...it might come in very handy in the future.