Sunday, September 30, 2007

Busy Weekend

I have had an incredible weekend. Friday I more or less took it pretty easy and just spent some time resting up. I attended the Aberdeen Christian Union, here by referred to as the CU, in the evening. I had an absolutely wonderful time. The message was a little bit all over the place, but the fellowship and time of musical worship was wonderful. It is becoming more and more evident that the basics have to be taught here over and over. It has little to do with the fact that people don’t understand, but more to do with the fact that there are so many brand new Christians. It is quite wonderful.
Saturday I slept in and then made myself some lunch. I eat pretty well most of the time, but at times I eat things that would make most people nauseous. Saturday’s lunch was an example of that. I had two tuna and Nutella sandwiches. For those of you who are yet to have Nutella in the states; it is basically chocolate peanut butter made with hazelnuts. I very much enjoyed this high protein sandwich.
I then headed to the park to play some ultimate Frisbee. It was so nice. They actually have a team, that competes, but the park time is for both the team and anyone that just wants to hangout. After almost two and a half hours of Frisbee I was exhausted. I came back home and got ready to go out with two of my friends. We went to a local Pub called the Bobbin to watch Scotland beat Italy to go to the quarter finals of the world cup in Rugby. It was so exciting.
This morning I went to my third church. It was called Oasis. I had a fantastic time. The preaching was not the best I have heard, but I was quite touched during the music. I had been giving some thought to how we approach God. During this service the children walk around or sit in the back and color. When it comes time for the message they leave for children’s service. The band is to the left and there is nothing in the center during the message. Therefore an 18th month old boy decided to crawl up to the alter and sit and wave at people. While I know he had no idea what he was doing, all he desired was to sit as close to the front as he could. It was truly a picture of approaching Christ like a child on our knees, just begging to here him speak.
The rest of my day flew by. I read a little and took a brief nap before going to basketball practice. We had a new coach show up and he had us run a lot. Maybe guys will learn to listen better. It was a good practice though and I really am feeling like a student here.
The one thing that could use prayer are my flat mates. I do not know where all of them stand on Christianity, however I know at least two of them and maybe three of them are going to attend a class called Alpha tomorrow night. It is designed to introduce people to Christianity. They serve a free dinner (always good) and then have a short lesson. It will run the next ten weeks. My prayer is that is sparks some incredible conversation in the flat. Well, that is all for now. I am tired and am going to go eat my pizza dinner.
Also a quick shout out to all of my pledges at Wabash. I have really enjoyed all of the Homecoming pictures. It looks as if you all did as well as Wabash did at stomping Earlham. Just wait Depauw, it won't be pretty.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the Wabash football team could be convinced to eat tuna and nutella too - the bell game should be a piece of cake for DPU!

WRB

Anonymous said...

Are the churches of any denomination or just independent?
What do people wear to church? Is it casual dress or do they dress up for church? Do you ever have a problem understanding their English? Any new words you have learned? Just curious.

Big john said...

Rob
Hope you are Well
thanks for the Blog and keep us updated on your world travel
God Bless
Big john

Tyson said...

Just wanted to sat that you are prolly the most religious person I know and I admire you for it. And I have no doubt that you will have a positive impact on your flatmates.

As for homecoming at Wabash, it was awesome. The pledges did a great job. They got ripped off on the chant though, theirs was very good and understandable. I was really proud of the queen outcome. I did Cody's makeup and it turned out to actually be good! Wish you could have seen it in person!